Victoria A. Roberts was born in Carrollton, Georgia and raised in Opelika, Ala. Moving to Baton Rouge, Louisiana to attend Louisiana State University in 2003, she began her career in the event world as a club promoter at the age 19. Ultimately, Roberts’s innate talent for design and dramatic sensibilities led her to the event industry. After 10 years in the business, Roberts launched VAR Events (2011) and has continued to hold a solid reputation for her gift for completely transforming ordinary spaces into lavish and dramatic environments. Victoria was also nominated and voted to serve as Board of Directors- Event Chair for Baton Rouge Social Media organization for 2013.
Come hear her speak Thursday, April 11 at 6 p.m. in Lockett Room 10. As always, you can join in the conversation or follow along on Twitter using #geauxPRSSA
1. How did you get started in your career? I began event planning at the early age of 18 while attending high school and continued coordinating events while attending college at Louisiana State University.
2. What is the best piece of professional advice you’ve received? “You are only good as your last event,” and, “Be honest.”
3.What is your favorite part about being in the public relations field (event planning). My favorite part about planning events would have to be the reaction from my clients once the event design has been completed and show time is upon us. To witness their eyes light up with amazement and express that they love the design is truly rewarding and such an honor to share in their life moment. Planning events is such a thrill, and I love it.
4.What is the most important thing we (as students) should do before entering the workforce? You should have a strong ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.TIME MANAGEMENT!
5. Describe a typical day at work. Make sure my spouse and son are off to an amazing start to their day. Check emails, confirm upcoming consultations, book event needs for clients and create event designs for my clients.
6. What is unique about your organization? My organization is unique in that not only do we design all type of events we also design dates and engagement proposals.
7. How do you see public relations (event planning) developing in the next 5-10 years? Event planning is a billion dollar industry. I only see this industry growing more and more by leaps and bounds. There are always celebrations, fundraisers, grand openings, product launches, etc., that need professional planning and management. I feel event planning will only become better and begin to expand to more colleges so that future planners are able to become certified and learn more about the industry.
8. What is the coolest experience you’ve had while at your current job? The coolest experience I’ve had was beginning to design at such a young age. I had no real knowledge of what I was doing besides the fact that I loved planning events. Having the experience of doing so many “wrongs” has taught me how to move forward into the “right” direction within my career.
9. What is your favorite book? The Great Gatsby – F. Scott Fitzgerald
10. Who inspires the most? My son (personally) and Preston Bailey (professionally).